Download Our Free App

Termination of Parental Rights

Pasadena Termination of Parental Rights Attorney

Termination of parental rights is one of the necessary procedures in preparation for an adoption when both biological parents are still living. If you hope to adopt a stepchild, you should consult with a knowledgeable family law attorney. Or perhaps your child’s mother or father is asking you to relinquish your parental rights so a stepparent can adopt your son or daughter and you object. We are prepared to help you assert your mother’s or father’s rights if at all possible.

The founding attorney at Kearney | Baker is certified in family law by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He has more than 30 years of experience assisting people through challenging family law matters, including paternity actions and stepparent adoptions. Our Pasadena law firm is prepared to assist you capably and cost-effectively in pursuit of your legal objectives, including stepparent adoption and the prerequisite termination of parental rights.

Paternity and Guardianship Attorneys

Some clients approach us with questions about termination of parental rights for very different reasons. A single parent may wish to ensure that in the event of his or her premature death, a child would be available for adoption by grandparents or other members of that parent’s family. The parent may believe that there are compelling reasons to prevent the possibility of the child going to an absentee or unknown biological parent.

It is good to ask important questions about your child’s welfare and plan for the unexpected when you are solo parenting. If your child’s father or mother has not exercised visitation rights for many years, it is understandable why you may seek to terminate his or her parental rights. There may be no proposed stepparent adoption in mind. This type of scenario may be more challenging. An experienced attorney may be able to offer solutions that can bring you greater peace of mind as a responsible single parent.

Termination of Parental Rights

Every case is unique. We cannot give a pat answer as to whether you can remove an absentee parent from having any parental rights in the event of your death or incapacitation. An evaluation of your family circumstances will allow our attorneys to advise you and if appropriate, petition a court for termination of parental rights of a long-absent parent or an unknown father.

We Are Here to Help

When you are ready to put our Pasadena family lawyers’ knowledge of divorce to work for you, please be in touch to schedule your initial consultation.

Request a Consultation

Download Our Free App